Thursday, April 23, 2009

Libya Day 1





LIBYA!!!! I'm now on my third continent in the last 18 hours.

I tried to sleep on the plane, but that didn't work too well. So, now my body thinks it's about 4am but the sun is out it's 2 in the afternoon here. Getting through the airport wasn't too bad. All of the signs were in Arabic, and lacked any descriptive pictures that might give you a hint of where to go. Luckily some Brits who have been through before helped me get to the right place. I got through customs fine and my bags actually made it.

One of my father's friends who is over here met me at the exit. I had worn one of my J&C hats and it immediately gave me away. He introduced me to our driver, Abdullah, who helped me with my bags. I changed out my Ben Franklins for some Colonel Q's and we were on our way.

The trip from the airport was uneventful. The driver ran through the toll booth at the exit which was pretty funny. The toll would have been 1/2 dinar. That's about 30 cents US. I would describe driving on the freeway over here, but I think that will need to get it's own entire post in a few days. I don't have my permanent housing yet, so they've put me up in a hotel in downtown Tripoli. It's not bad though, it's close to the beach.





The staff is friendly and many of them speak. English. I stayed in the Four Seasons a few weeks ago in Austin. The Thobacts Hotel is probably more like the Two Seasons.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I've been waiting for this...I've been sooooooo bored. Ha. I hope this becomes equivalent to the entertainment you provided while in the states. Will you be able to post photos and videos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be able to add photos and videos, but the connection in the hotel isn't good and I'm having trouble uploading them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. Cranes on a sky-line is always a good thing. How about a time-zone widget?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that an ash tray in the hotel room? Someone should call the Dallas city Council!

    ReplyDelete