
I snuck in to see the Crown Jewels of England. I realize that sounds really bad, but here's how it happened. I had just finished looking at the Henry VIII exhibit and came out of the White Tower which was right across from the Jewel House, the entrance into the crown jewels. The line to get into to see them wrapped back all the way around the tower. Easily a few hundred yards long. I was actually on my way to my proper place at the back of the line when something funny happened. The changing of the guards started as I was walking by.

A couple of things happen when the guards walk by. First, they don't stop even if you're in their way so people scramble to keep from getting runover. The other thing that happens is eveyone else seems to forget what they were doing.

This includes people remembering that they have been standing in line for over an hour to see what's inside and that line is moving forward because the people in there don't know there's something to see outside.

The inspection of the guards lasted for several minutes, to the point that there was no one actually waiting at the doorway to get in anymore, they were all turned watching the redcoats. Since no one seemed to mind, I walked right in.
No comments:
Post a Comment