Friday, October 16, 2009

The Harlem Globetrotters? In Libya?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The term "globetrotter" is part of their name so it's only natural they would play around the globe in different places.



I never thought that living in Tripoli, Libya would afford me the opportunity to watch the Harlem Globetrotters, but that's exactly what I got Thursday night. Tickets were 5 dinar, $3.50, apiece so I guess a thank you is in order to the Libyan Government for subsidizing the evening spectacular.


The Globetrotters played against their longtime nemesis, the Washington Generals. It's not everyday that you get to see a Libyan rooting for the red, white, and blue to beat the green team. I was a little concerned how they would react, but they seemed to not pay it any notice. I think we were the only ones who saw the irony. They were all pretty into the game. The locals yelled, cheered, and laughed at all the antics.



I think the Globetrotters were glad to see a group of ex-pats in the crowd on the front rows. We became fodder for some of their stunts. I took the brunt of a bucket of water at one point during the show. When you see them running around on court with a bucket, you really don't think they would actually have it filled up. I was definitely expecting confetti, anything but Tripoi tap water, which is why I had my camera out attempting to take a photo when I got doused. Luckily the camera and I both survived the attack.

Another coworker had her purse used as a prop during the show and ended up going out on the floor and breaking out into a dance with "Big Easy". I definitely don't think a local would have been up for that, but the crowd loved it.


If you're really observant, you'll notice there is something different between the first
photo and the dance photo.

Five minutes into the game, they started slipping on the sticker that had been stuck at center court. I'm not sure what caused it, but something was rubbing off the emblem and they kept having to come off court and wipe their shoes off. After one of the guys slipped up and looked like he had pulled a hamstring, they went out and pulled the sticker off.

No comments:

Post a Comment