Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Woven to Scale


One of the many places we went was the Vatican Museum. On the way through the museum going to the Sistine chapel, you walk through a series of long corridors with paintings, sculptures etc, on the walls and ceilings. One of the rooms is a tapestry room full of maps. It has huge tapestries that take up the entire wall, 20 feet high. They are all maps of the different regions of the old Vatican Empire. Basically any of the small villages with a church were represented on the maps. What I was most impressed with though is that they all had scales on them down in the corner. I didn't whip my ruler out to check their math so I'll have to assume they are correct. But, it's interesting that someone would be concerned to make a map of that size out of cloth "to scale".

No comments:

Post a Comment