The rumor mill started again this week about another important visitor to the south. If you remember the last time, that meant that the Prime Minister showed up. This time the word was that the Leader himself was coming down. This went on for the last few days, and we finally decided that it was most likely not true. I left Sebha late Wednesday night and came back to Tripoli for a meeting that I was supposed to have Thursday morning. A few of our guys stayed behind to try and get a glimpse.
I got a call from my CM/CS at 9am that Gadaffi is on his way to my sites in Murzuk. I can't believe I'm not going to be there! The phone call just said he's on his way to Murzuk, which is a huge area. We still don't know which of the 14 sites he's going to. I'm consoling myself right now by thinking that I would have been kicked off the site for his visit anyway when he shows up.
I checked in about every hour to find out what the status was. The CM/CS fanned his guys out across all of the sites. There's really just one main east west road, so the if the convoy was heading our way, he'd pass one of the sites. Everyone stood at the gates waiting for the grand arrival. At 6pm the phone call came that the VIPs headed east away from us. To add insult to injury, the update also said that apparently the Leader was never among them. I guess coming back to Tripoli early wasn't such a bad idea afterall.
No comments:
Post a Comment