So I'm a big fat liar. I went to Malta again. The last time I was there, I wrote that I would soak up more culture than Cisk the next time I went. Well, I was half right. I didn't have nearly as much Cisk as last time, but I had zero culture. Unless of course watching Transformers 2 counts as culture. I'm not sure it does, but you have to realize how little there is to do in Libya that simple things like that are great.
Living in Libya will do strange things to you. The last time I was in Malta I was with an Aussie friend of mine who commented on how funny our vacations from Libya were. His comment was that we were leaving Tripoli basically just for the sake of being in civilization for a weekend. That's very true. There are so many things that you simply can't get in Libya, and I'm not just talking about booze and bacon. I actually only brought two things back with me from this weekend. Neither of them are illegal in case you were wondering.
First, I brought back Tabasco Sauce. Two big bottles worth actually. This caused me a bit of a problem in the Malta Airport due to restrictions on liquids. I ultimately had to walk back out of security and check my backpack because the 3ooml of hot sauce I had posed a security threat. Tabasco is especially important in Libya because it has become an integral part of dinner every night here in GH3. We have soup, Libyan soup, with dinner every night. It's not bad soup, but many times it's just terribly bland. Tabasco is great to add to it. Even if the food has no flavor, atleast the fact that it burns your tongue lets you know you're eating.
The other item I brought back, I think you have to be from Texas to truly appreciate. I found Dr. Pepper. After 4 months without my favorite drink, I finally found it. I bought 6 - 2 litres bottles to bring back with me. It's the best 7 euros I've ever spent. So for atleast the next few weeks, when I'm not down in Sebha, I'll be able to have a DP after work.
They looked at me like I was an idiot in the airport on the way back. Oh well, I work in Libya. Carrying soft drinks and seasonings through an airport makes sense when it's put in context.
(Blogger isn't letting me upload photos. I think the Col. must still be unhappy about my last video.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment