Monday, August 3, 2009

Fun Stuff in the Desert


I realize my photos make it look like I'm working out in the middle of nowhere. Well, I am, but there are still some pretty cool things out there that you can happen upon. My furthest south site is about 80 miles from the border of Chad, Niger, and Libya. About 500 yards east of our perimeter fence is this old fort still "standing". The photo at the top is the view looking out from on top of the walls. You can see the remnants of another tower further out. With as desolate as it is down here though, it kind of makes you wonder what anyone was trying to defend.


I took a detour one day while I was on my site visits and wandered around. I have no idea what this is from and I have not been able to find anything about it online. My guess is that it's an old Italian fortress. The closest town is Tajerhi. If anyone finds out something about it, let me know.

As with all of the archeological sites in Libya, there are no fences or gates anywhere so you can climb around all you want. We walked along the walls and everywhere else we could get to. The corner towers all looked like they had been blown apart, or battered apart. Since I'm not sure how old this place is, I won't speculate if it was cannon balls, mortar rounds, or rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment