Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Blue Mosque


My brother said none of my pictures have me in them so I must not really be going to all these place. So here is me standing in the doorway to courtyard of the Blue Mosque.

I've never been inside a mosque before. There's not really a whole lot to the inside of them. It's basically just a big open carpeted floor area. You have to take off your shoes to go in. They have little plastic bags for you at the door to put them in. The women get handed head scarfs. My buddy was wearing shorts and they made him put a wrap on before they'd let us in. For his sake, I won't post any pictures of him in his pretty blue dress.


Like Hagia, the Blue Mosque has a huge dome in the center. This one is supported by four large columns which kind of obstructs the impression you get of the room. You can't walk directly under the dome. It's roped off for worshippers. We got there after the morning call to prayer so there wasn't anyone praying at the time. The real beauty of the place in my opinion is the architecture you see on the outside. I took this picture from the rooftop bar at our hotel. That's the Bosphorous in the background.


You can see Sophia and Blue here. The A/C unit in the middle kind of kills the shot. We couldn't get onto the roof next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment