Friday, May 1, 2009

Leptis Magna


I took a trip to an old Roman city known as Leptis Magna. It’s about an hour and half from Tripoli. The site is simply huge. When I say huge, I mean we walked for over 3 hours around the place, and I was told that there is a whole second area that I didn’t get to go to that has a large coliseum.


It’s very deceiving when you arrive to the site. You come into what is basically a rundown looking camp ground. There’s a dirt parking lot and a bunch of gift shops. You walk down a little ways, pay your six dinars and you’re confronted by a massive archway. I don’t know what it’s called. You can Google it for yourselves and get the history lesson.

What’s really cool about Leptis is that there are no ropes or curators keeping you from going anywhere. You can literally walk up to a 2000 year old engraving and trace the lines with your own finger.

The Marc Caesar etching below is right at eye level. There are hundreds just like it saying different things all over the site. It’s incredible the amount of detail and precision that went into this place.

My favorite place I saw was the Theater. I can only imagine what it would have been like to sit here and watch a performance with the Mediterranean as your backdrop. We got a brief show from an Italian tourist who decided to show off his opera voice.


1 comment: