Friday, May 15, 2009

Don't shukran the Turks.

I went over to Istanbul for the weekend. One of the guys I work with had a layover there so we moved the tickets around and made a weekend of it. The Turks don't speak Arabic, so all my practice pronouncing shukran correctly was worthless. The only turkish word I managed to learn while I was there is cikis, which means exit.

There are a ton of little outdoor cafes. The food was a welcomed change from what I've been getting in Libya. Lot's of shish-kabobs in turkey, and lots of lamb.

We went to the Grand Bazaar and promptly got lost. It spans many, many city blocks of winding alleys and streets. A lot of Bazaar has been covered so you get the feel you're walking through a huge shopping mall except guys are yelling at you to buy carpet. We walked around for a few hours and didn't come anywhere close to seeing the place. It was pretty fun getting to barter with all the guys too. You could pretty much take whatever price they tried to tell you and take 50% off. A lot of the stores had the exact same stuff: little boxes, jewerly, and religious art.

No comments:

Post a Comment