Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Mornings

The weekend here is Friday and Saturday in case you didn't know. EVERYTHING is closed here on Friday morning though. Most stores and the souk don't open until at least 2:30, with a lot of them even later than that. That leads to lots of time with nothing to do on a Friday morning. Unless there's a trip out of the city or to the beach, the options in town are essentially limited to sitting on a patio with the other ex-pats and drinking coffee.

At least the coffee is cheap. Starbucks hasn't bribed the right people yet to get themselves into the country. Actually a lot of the coffee around is pretty bad, unless you order something special. I'm not a coffee aficionado either. Folgers works for me. If you order just a coffee, you're most likely to get hot water and Nescafe instant coffee.

They could definitely use some Blue Bell Ice Cream over here too. It'd go nicely with the patio and cool sea breeze. The stuff we have over here doesn't come anywhere close, but I guess for 1/2 dinar, you can't be too picky. Whoever wants to buy 10 gallons and some dry ice and fly over here, I'll meet you at the airport.

2 comments:

  1. Wear some sunscreen!

    Hows it going bro?

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be jealous of my rosy red cheeks JB. If you come over here and work in the desert, I'm sure you'll get some too.

    ReplyDelete