
I am a little behind on my posting. This was two weekends ago. I made it back to see more of Leptis. The first time, I didn’t get a chance to see the coliseum. The guides called it the amphitheater, but I consider anything that once had people with swords fighting each other to be a coliseum…thank you Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott.

In case you can't tell how big it is, I'll tell you it's a pretty massive structure. It's not Kyle Field big, but considering the total lack of rebar and concrete I was impressed. It even had concourse areas back under the seats.

The other part of Leptis that I didn’t get to see was the hippodrome. There really wasn't a whole lot to see of it though and my pictures didn't turn out very well. You kind of had to know what you were looking out to make out the track and the grandstand. The coliseum is built into the other side of this hill. The archways lead back into the arena. If you had a good seat at the top of the coliseum, you could probably watch the race and the fights at the same time.

The photo finish was inconclusive. I'm sure this isn't the worst race ever held here, but it's probably close…
No comments:
Post a Comment